- Books/Videos on Sale (or Free) Today
- Select New Books and Courses
- New/Updated Safari Books and Courses
- New/Updated Pluralsight Courses
These deals are good for today only, so be sure to take advantage of the pricing before the offers expire.
Leverage frontend development skills to build impressive iOS and Android applications with React Native
This book will provide you with all the React Native building blocks necessary to become an expert. We’ll give you a brief explanation of the numerous native components and APIs that come bundled with React Native including Images, Views, ListViews, WebViews, and much more. You will learn to utilize form inputs in React Native. You’ll get an overview of Facebook’s Flux data architecture and then apply Redux to manage data with a remote API. You will also learn to animate different parts of your application, as well as routing using React Native’s navigation APIs.
By the end of the book, you will be able to build cutting-edge applications using the React Native framework.
What You Will Learn
- Implement native React Native components and APIs
- Explore React’s JSX syntax
- Manage data using Redux and Redux middleware
- Build applications with React Native on both iOS and Android platforms
- Perform animations in your applications using the animation APIs
- Understand routing and Navigator comparison
- Create your own Native module
About the Authors
Eric Masiello is a lead software engineer for Vistaprint Digital. Formerly, Eric worked as a principal frontend engineer for the Advisory Board Company and built mobile apps for the Education Advisory Board. Eric has worked primarily as a frontend/UI developer for over 10 years and freelances as a website designer/developer at http://www.synbydesign.com. He has taught frontend topics at General Assembly in Washington, D.C. and was a technical reviewer for Mastering ReactJS, a video by Packt Publishing.
You can follow him here:
You can follow him here:
$9.99 Apress eBook by Pranab Mazumdar, Sourabh Agarwal, Amit Banerjee. This book covers SQL Server, Microsoft Azure, Azure VM, Azure SQL Database.
- Microsoft Azure Architecture (PaaS & IaaS)
- Deploying and Automating SQL Server with best practices on Azure VM
- Optimizing SQL Server performance on an Azure VM
- Complete Insight into Azure SQL Databases (PaaS Offering)
Learn the basics of Microsoft Azure and see how SQL Server on Azure VMs (Infrastructure-as-a-Service) and Azure SQL Databases (Platform-as-a-Service) work. This concise book shows you how to deploy, operate, and maintain your data using any one or a combination of these offerings along with your on-premise environment.
Pro SQL Server on Microsoft Azure is a quintessential book for any IT professional who is planning to host their data on Microsoft Azure. This book will not only equip you with the tips, tricks, and tools to manage SQL Server offerings on Azure, but will also help you in deciding between PaaS, IaaS, or hybrid.
In the ever-changing world of operations, IT administrators and SQL Server DBAs often find that the biggest challenges occur once they’ve deployed to the cloud. This is precisely why Pro SQL Server on Microsoft Azure was written; it will help you master today’s cloud world.
What You’ll Learn
- Understand the Microsoft Azure IaaS architecture
- Work with Azure Storage and Networking
- Deploy SQL Server on Azure VMs using best practices
- Apply effective security principles to SQL Azure Databases
- Measure and optimize the performance of SQL Server offerings on Azure
- Implement Business continuity and disaster recovery options with Azure SQL Databases
Who This Book Is For
This book is for IT admins and SQL Server DBAs who are managing or would be managing SQL Server deployments on Microsoft Azure.
About the Authors
Pranab Mazumdar is an Escalation Engineer and is aligned with the SQL group for past 10 years. He has a vast experience primarily in SQL Server Engine and Performance areas. He has created or contributed to training courses, supportability reviews/docs, KB articles / Whitepapers for the Microsoft Knowledge base. He works very closely with the SQL Server Product Team to fix bugs within the SQL Server Product thereby making SQL a better and Preferred RDBMS. With mobile and cloud as the next strategy he has been aligned with SQL Azure DB (PaaS) and also SQL Server running on Azure VMs (IaaS) . Apart from SQL he has also been working with operational Insight formerly known as System Centre Advisor, migrating and helping create new set of rules and validation process. He holds a number of Microsoft certifications like MCAD, MCSD, MCDBA, MSCE, MCTS , MCITP and MCT since 2005. Pranab likes to be connected to customers and he has been a speaker in TechEd, GIDs, SQL Saturday , SQL Talks, and other Community UG Events.
Sourabh Agarwal has over 9 years of SQL experience and currently works as a Senior Premier Field Engineer at Microsoft, specializing in proactive and advisory consulting assistance for SQL Server environments. As part of the Microsoft India Services Team, he has worked on SQL Server environments for leading corporations in various business domains, helping them to design, deploy and support for mission- and business-critical applications. Apart from his daily work with customers, Sourabh owns SQLUninterrupted.com and is a frequent speaker at various SQL Server community events and Microsoft Events.
Amit Banerjee has a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science engineering and currently works as a Senior Premier Field Engineer at Microsoft specializing in proactive and advisory assistance for SQL Server environments. In the past he has worked for the SQL Server Support team in various capacities including the Microsoft SQL Server Escalation Services team. Here he specialized in reactive assistance which involved troubleshooting complex SQL Server issues and debugging. He has worked on environments of a varied scale which involves 100 users to 10 million users. He is also a co-author of “Professional SQL Server 2012: Internals and Troubleshooting” and contributed to various tools like SQL Nexus, PSSDIAG Manager and SQL Server Backup Simulator. He is a regular speaker at various conferences and events like TechEd, SQL Saturdays, User Group Meetings.
50% off Web Performance in Action Building Fast Web Pages
Web Performance in Action is your companion guide to making websites faster. You’ll learn techniques that speed the delivery of your site’s assets to the user, increase rendering speed, decrease the overall footprint of your site, as well as how to build a workflow that automates common optimization techniques.
About the technology
Nifty features, hip design, and clever marketing are great, but your website will flop if visitors think it’s slow. Network conditions can be unpredictable, and with today’s sites being bigger than ever, you need to set yourself apart from the competition by focusing on speed. Achieving a high level of performance is a combination of front-end architecture choices, best practices, and some clever sleight-of-hand. This book will demystify all these topics for you.
About the book
Web Performance in Action is your guide to making fast websites. Packed with “Aha!” moments and critical details, this book teaches you how to create performant websites the right way. You’ll master optimal rendering techniques, tips for decreasing your site’s footprint, and technologies like HTTP/2 that take your website’s speed from merely adequate to seriously fast. Along the way, you’ll learn how to create an automated workflow to accomplish common optimization tasks and speed up development in the process.
- Foolproof performance-boosting techniques
- Optimizing images and fonts
- HTTP/2 and how it affects your optimization workflow
About the reader
About the author
Jeremy Wagner is a professional front-end web developer with over ten years of experience.
50% off Progressive Web Apps
50% off Manning’s eBook by Dean Alan Hume. This book covers Progressive Web Apps.
Progressive Web Apps are game changers. They let you create fast, resilient applications that benefit users regardless of their connection speed or device constraints. PWAs are built with a collection of technologies, design concepts, and Web APIs that work in tandem to provide an app-like experience on the mobile web. This means you can build reliable web apps that load nearly instantly no matter what kind of network connection the user is on. PWAs run on HTTPS, use push notifications, and spawn app install banners. Under the hood, PWAs allow you full access to requests and responses made to and from the applications - giving you ultimate control. And the best part - you don’t need to be a guru to unlock all of these powerful features.
Progressive Web Apps takes you, step-by-step, through real world examples and teaches you how to build fast, engaging, and reliable websites. You’ll begin by getting the big picture of what Progressive Web Apps are, how they work, and their benefits. Then you’ll explore the different approaches that you can use to build them. This hands-on guide gives you a closer look as you dissect a real-world PWA and break down each of its elements. As you progress, you’ll dive into each of the key features that make up a Progressive Web App. This book is written with stand-alone chapters, letting you learn about particular features of interest without having read previous chapters. By the end, you’ll be ready to build better web applications and improve the user experience.
- Building super fast web applications
- Adding improved caching using Service Workers
- Using manifest files and HTML markup
- Engaging users with push notifications
- Building an offline web application from scratch
- Keeping data synchronized even when users are offline
About the reader
About the author
Dean Alan Hume is an author, blogger and Google Developer Expert. He is passionate about web performance and regularly writes articles about this topic on his blog at http://deanhume.com.
Front-End Tooling with Gulp, Bower, and Yeoman teaches you how to use and combine these popular tools to set up a customized development workflow from start to finish.
About the technology
In large web dev projects, productivity is all about workflow. Great workflow requires tools like Gulp, Bower, and Yeoman that can help you automate the design-build-deploy pipeline. Together, the Yeoman scaffolding tool, Bower dependency manager, and Gulp automation build system radically shorten the time it takes to release web applications.
About the book
Front-End Tooling with Gulp, Bower, and Yeoman teaches you how to set up an automated development workflow. You’ll start by understanding the big picture of the development process. Then, using patterns and examples, this in-depth book guides you through building a product delivery pipeline using Gulp, Bower, and Yeoman. When you’re done, you’ll have an intimate understanding of the web development process and the skills you need to create a powerful, customized workflow using these best-of-breed tools.
- Mastering web dev workflow patterns
- Automating the product delivery pipeline
- Creating custom workflows
About the reader
About the author
Stefan Baumgartner has led front-end teams working across a wide range of development styles and application domains.
Pro Java 9 Games Development Leveraging the JavaFX APIs by Wallace Jackson. This book covers Java 9, NetBeans 9, JavaFX 9, Java 3D, JOGL, OpenGL, GIMP.
- Design and build 2D and 3D games using JavaFX, Java 3D, and JOGL
- Learn how to bind Java to OpenGL to leverage additional 3D capabilities
- Augment your Java games with media elements
Use Java 9 and JavaFX 9 to write 3D games for the latest consumer electronics devices. Written by open source gaming expert Wallace Jackson, this book uses Java 9 and NetBeans 9 to add leading-edge features, such as 3D, textures, animation, digital audio, and digital image compositing to your games.
Along the way you’ll learn about game design, including game design concepts, genres, engines, and UI design techniques. To completely master Java 3D game creation, you will combine this knowledge with a number of JavaFX 9 topics, such as scene graph hierarchy; 3D scene configuration; 3D model design and primitives; model shader creation; and 3D game animation creation. With these skills you will be able to take your 3D Java games to the next level.
The final section of Pro Java 9 Games Development puts the final polish on your abilities. You’ll see how to add AI logic for random content selection methods; harness a professional scoring engine; and player-proof your event handling. After reading Pro Java 9 Games Development, you will come away with enough 3D expertise to design, develop, and build your own professional Java 9 games, using JavaFX 9 and the latest new media assets.
What You’ll Learn
- Design and build professional 3D Java 9 games, using NetBeans 9, Java 9, and JavaFX 9
- Integrate new media assets, such as digital imagery and digital audio
- Integrate the new JavaFX 9 multimedia engine API
- Create an interactive 3D board game, modeled, textured, and animated using JavaFX
- Optimize game assets for distribution, and learn how to use the Java 9 module system
Who This Book Is For
Experienced Java developers who may have some prior game development experience. This book can be for experienced game developers new to Java programming.
About the Author
Wallace Jackson has been writing for leading multimedia publications about his work in new media content development since the advent of Multimedia Producer Magazine nearly two decades ago, when he wrote about computer processor architectures for centerfolds (removable “mini-issue” insert) distributed at SIGGRAPH. Since then, Wallace has written for several other publications about his work in interactive 3D and new media advertising campaign design, including 3D Artist,Desktop Publishers Journal, CrossMedia, AVvideo and Kiosk Magazine.
- Body Language Sales Secrets (Book) by McCormick Jim, Karinch Maryann
- The Power of Collaboration (Book) by Singer Spitzer Thea
- The Unstoppable Organization (Book) by Casemore Shawn
- Character Costume Figure Drawing, 3rd Edition (Book) by Tan Huaixiang
- Media Design and Technology for Live Entertainment (Book) by Davin Gaddy
- Ethical Issues in Social Work Practice (Book) by Antonio Sandu, Ana Frunza
- Ethics and Decision-Making for Sustainable Business Practices (Book) by Ionica Oncioiu
- Free and Open Source Software in Modern Data Science and Business Intelligence: Emerging Research and Opportunities (Research Insight) (Book) by K.G. Srinivasa, Ganesh Chandra Deka, Krishnaraj P.M.
- Global Perspectives on Religious Tourism and Pilgrimage (Book) by Hatem El-Gohary, David John Edwards, Riyad Eid
- Holistic Approaches to Brand Culture and Communication Across Industries (Book) by Sabyasachi Dasgupta, Santosh Kumar Biswal, M. Anil Ramesh
IT Governance Publishing
- Security in the Digital World- (Book) by Graham Day
Maker Media, Inc
- mBot for Makers (Book) by Andrew Carle, Rick Schertle
- Begin to Code with Python (Book) by Rob Miles
O’Reilly Media, Inc.
- Data Science on the Google Cloud Platform (Book) by Valliappa Lakshmanan
- Practical Tableau (Book) by Ryan Sleeper
- Programming iOS 11 (Book) by Matt Neuburg
- Understanding Agile DevOps (Book) by Jim Bird
- A-Frame Web VR Programming Tutorial Series (Virtual Reality) (Video) by Frahaa Hussain
- Azure Functions – Best Practices (Video) by Praveen Kumar Sreeram
- Big Data Analytics with SAS (Book) by David Pope
- Complete Ethical Hacking Series: Pen Testing the Right Way (Video) by Chad Russell
- Creating a Game with Blender Game Engine (Video) by Tim Crellin
- Cryptography with Python (Video) by Sam Bowne
- Dependency Injection in .NET Core 2.0 (Book) by Marino Posadas, Tadit Dash
- Deployment with Docker (Book) by Srdjan Grubor
- Effective Jenkins: Continuous Delivery with Jenkins Pipeline (Video) by Rodrigo Zacheu Russo
- Fundamentals of IoT Security (Video) by Brian Russell
- Getting Started with Azure Serverless Computing Using Node.js (Video) by Omkar Dusane
- Hands-On Android UI Development (Book) by Jason Morris
- Machine Learning with TensorFlow 1.x (Book) by Quan Hua, Shams Ul Azeem, Saif Ahmed
- Mastering ASP.NET Core 2.0 (Book) by Ricardo Peres
- Mastering CSS (Book) by Rich Finelli
- Mastering Drupal 8 Development (Video) by Marc Isaacson
- R Data Visualization Recipes (Book) by Vitor Bianchi Lanzetta
- Raspberry Pi 3 Home Automation Projects (Book) by Shantanu Bhadoria, Ruben Oliva Ramos
- ReactJS and Flux: Learn By Building 10 Projects (Video) by Eduonix
- Scala and Spark for Big Data Analytics (Book) by Md. Rezaul Karim
- ServiceNow IT Operations Management (Video) by Ajaykumar Guggilla
- The Complete Google Go Programming Course For Beginners (Video) by David Valentine
- Unity 2017 Game Optimization - Second Edition (Book) by Chris Dickinson
- David Busch’s Canon EOS Rebel SL2/200D Guide to Digital SLR Photography (Book) by David D. Busch
- Agile for Data Professionals (Video) by Larry Burns
- Applying Graphs to Social Network Analysis (Video) by Doug Needham
- Data Model Storytelling (Video) by Larry Burns
- Data Strategy (Video) by Peter Aiken
- Data Vault Fundamentals (Video) by John Giles
- Even NoSQL Databases have Relationships (Video) by Pascal Desmarets
- Kinds of Data Models: Toward a Common Vocabulary (Video) by David Hay
- Multi-model Databases (Video) by Dave Cassel
- Next Generation Analytic Architecture (Video) by Eddie Sayer
- The Emerging Role of Data in Government (Video) by Tyler Kleykamp
- Becoming a More Valuable UX Professional (Video) by Krispian Emert